time to make 1/2 day 15 min prep
2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 (15 ounce) cans white kidney beans
10 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (4 ounce) can roasted green chilies, peeled and diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
1. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium-heat. Add onions, garlic, coriander, cumin and oregano. Saute until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add red peppers and saute for 2 more minutes. Empty contents of skillet into slow cooker.
3. Heat one tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to skillet (working in batches if necessary) and cook until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
4. Add wine, chicken stock, green chilies, beans and white pepper to slow cooker and turn on to low. Cook for 6-7 hours.
5. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with a fork. Return to slow cooker.
6. Add cream, salt, and turkey sausage, turn cooking setting to high and remove lid or leave lid slightly ajar to let moisture escape. Cook until sauce is thickened, about 30-45 minutes.
7. If a thicker chili is desired: Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water or stock for each cup of liquid. Add to slow cooker and mix. Allow sauce to thicken before serving.
8. Serve in bread bowl and top with favorite garnishes.
9. Tip: If you like your chili extra spicy, add diced jalapeños and saute with onions before adding to the slow cooker.