serves 4, prep 5 min, cook 20 min
1 pound breakfast sausage
2 tbsp fat drippings, butter, or oil
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
1. In a cast iron or other heavy skillet, cook and brown sausage over medium-high heat. Break sausage into small crumbles with a wooden spoon.
2. Once sausage is brown, turn off heat and use a slotted spoon to remove the sausage to a paper towel lined plate. Drain and measure fat if desired.
3. Add 2 tbsp fat back to the pan, use sausage drippings if desired and add additional fat as needed to make 2 tbsp.
4. Heat pan over medium-low and sprinkle fat with flour. Cook flour mixture, whisking often, until golden about five minutes.
5. Add milk to flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Heat pan to medium-high and whisk while gravy comes to a simmer and thickens.
6. Add sausage and season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.