2 cups flour
4 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons diced and frozen butter
2 tablespoons frozen shortening
1 cup buttermilk
1. Put all the dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse five or six times.
2. Put frozen butter and crisco into the processor and pulse 5 times or until you get a small pea sized texture. Don’t over process. (Up to this point you can freeze the mix in a baggie until you are ready to make your biscuits, up to a month.).
3. Continuing, add the buttermilk all at once and pulse three or four times, only until the dough is wet. Do not process until it is all mixed or you will get hockey pucks instead of biscuits.
4. On a floured surface, pat the dough out into a 9×9 square and cut the square with a very sharp knife into 9 square biscuits. This eliminates the need for rolling the scraps.
5. Put the biscuits onto a parchment lined baking pan so they are touching. Dust the tops with flour.
6. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and bake for about 13 to 15 minutes.