serves 6, prep 10 min, cook time 2 hours, divided
* 3 large russet potatoes
* 6 tbsp butter, cubed
* 6 oz sour cream or yogurt
* 1 lb center cut bacon, chopped and cooked into crumbles
* 8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
* 4 oz cream cheese
* 1 green onion, sliced thinly
* salt and black pepper
1. First step is to bake your potatoes and let them cool down. Bake the potatoes on a tray at 400°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool enough to handle.
2. Prep other ingredients while potatoes are baking, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, add butter, sour cream, 2/3 of the cheddar, the cream cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cut your somewhat cooled potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh in the large bowl. If you plan on using the skins as boats be sure to keep them intact.
5. Use a potato masher or fork to combine the ingredients in the bowl, taste and season as you go.
6. Pile the mixture into a shallow casserole of pie dish, smooth the top and cover with bacon, onion as desired, and cheese. (or do this individually to your potato boats)
7. Bake casserole or individual potatoes at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until crusty and warm.