* 1 large onion, chopped
* 6 garlic cloves, peeled
* 1 pickled jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 teaspoons of Chipotle chile powder
* 1 Tbsp tomato paste
* 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
* 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/3 cup ketchup
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1/4 cup light brown sugar
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 lbs of pork butt shoulder roast, trimmed of excess fat
* Hamburger buns
1 Purée all of the sauce ingredients (everything except the bay leaf, the pork and the buns) in a blender until smooth. If you have extra time, marinate the pork in the sauce overnight or for several hours before cooking.
2 Put sauce, bay leaf, and pork into a large pot and add 1 quart of water. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, covered, turning frequently, for 2 hours or until the meat pulls apart easily with a fork.
3 Remove from heat and cool pork in the sauce. When cool, remove the pork from the sauuce and shred into small pieces. Set aside.
4 Reduce the sauce by two thirds. Add the pork back to the sauce. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve hot over open-face hamburger buns.
Serves 6 to 8.