2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion fine dice
2 shallots fine dice
3 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder (for homemade version, see below)
1/3 a can of chipotles (optional)
Beer or coca-cola for sweeter chili
1. On high heat, brown ground beef in a saucepan. Drain grease and remove meat.
2. Add a small amount of oil to the pan. Sautee onions and shallots for two minutes, then add garlic.
3. Toss in two tablespoons of tomato paste and cook through. Add chili powder (you can always add more later) and some salt and pepper.
4. Deglaze with beer (or use coke if you like a sweeter chili), then add meat back in.
5. Throw in one tablespoon of brown sugar (less if you used the coke). And about 1/3 a can of chipotles if you're going for spicy.
6. Once boiling, turn down heat to a simmer. Cook down slowly to a nice thick chili consistency, adding more seasoning, sugar, or chipotle as desired.
7. Grill marinated dogs on a charcoal grill.
8. Place dog in bun. Add chili, cheese and chopped onions. Or make a nice creamy slaw if you want to go southern style. Open beer and enjoy.
Homemade Chili Powder
– makes –
– makes about 1/2 cup –
7 bay leaves
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoons cumin or 12 coriander seeds
Mix it up real good!