– makes 3-4 dozen cookies –
1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins or combination of raisins and dried cranberries
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened dried coconut
1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips, or a combination, optional I skipped this
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, coconut, and nuts and/or chocolate chips if using.
4. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoonsful onto an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute on sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
5. The raw dough can be formed into logs, frozen, and then baked straight from the freezer when the urge strikes.
Credit: Serious Eats