time to make 1½ hours 15 min prep
15 tablespoons butter
6 celery ribs, finely chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
black pepper (freshly ground)
1 tablespoon sage, finely chopped
2 teaspoons marjoram, finely chopped
2 teaspoons savory, finely chopped
2 teaspoons thyme, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
10 cups white bread (toasted, 1/2 inch cubed and crustless)
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 15-cup baking dish with 1 tbsp butter; set aside.
2. Heat 10 tbsps butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery, onions, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste; cook until golden brown, 18-20 minutes.
3. Add sage, marjoram, savory, thyme and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
4. Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. Add bread, parsley, and vegetable or chicken stock; season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs and mix.
5. Transfer mixture to prepared dish, press down, and dot with remaining 4 tbsp buttter. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until deep golden brown on top, about 20 minutes more.