– makes 6 to 10 servings –
Adapted from New South Grilling by Robert St. John.
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup No-Stick Grilling Marinade for Beef recipe follows
1 tablespoon Steak Seasoning recipe follows
1/2 bacon, small dice
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, small dice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
Eight 10-inch flour tortillas
1/4 cup olive oil
Sour cream and salsa for serving
1. Make four hamburger patties using the ground beef. Brush each patty with the No-Stick Marinade and allow to marinate 30 minutes. Sprinkle each patty with the Steak Seasoning.
2. Prepare the grill. Cook the burgers on direct high heat to medium-well, approximately 14 minutes.
3. While burgers are cooking, place the diced bacon in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the bacon until it becomes brown and crispy, stirring often. Once the bacon is crisp, use a slotted spoon to remove from pan. Pour off most of the bacon fat, leaving just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the diced onions, salt, and pepper in the hot bacon fat. Cook 6-7 minutes, stirring often.
4. Allow the bacon, onions, and hamburgers to cool completely.
5. Place the cooked burgers in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 6-7 times. The meat should be broken up but not ground fine.
6. Place the ground hamburger, onions, and bacon in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Blend in the shredded cheeses.
7. Lay the flour tortillas on a flat surface and divide the filling evenly among them. Spread the filling so that it covers one half of each tortilla. Fold the filled tortillas in half to form a semicircle.
8. Prepare the grill. Brush the tortillas with olive oil. Grill the quesadillas over direct medium heat until well marked, about 4-6 minutes on each side. Rotate the quesadillas while cooking to prevent burning. Remove the quesadillas from the grill and cut into 4-6 triangles. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
No-Stick Grilling Marinade for Beef
– makes 1 cup –
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup canola oil
1 cup light olive oil
2 tablespoons Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Place the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, and vinegar in a food processor. Blend on medium speed for 1-2 minutes.
2. Slowly drizzle oils into the mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. If the marinade becomes too thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water. Once all the oil has been incorporated, add seasoned salt, pepper, lemon pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Blend until incorporated. Store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
– makes 1 1/2 cups –
1/2 cup Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
3/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup lemon pepper seasoning
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon onion powder
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container.
Credit: Serious Eats