1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon flour
2 cups nonfat milk
2 lbs potatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded low-fat cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Melt butter in a large frypan over medium heat; add in onion and cook stirring occasionally until onion begins to brown (about 5 minutes).
4. Stir in flour, then slowly add in milk.
5. Add in potatoes; stir to mix; bring to a boil.
6. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, salt and black pepper.
7. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish then spread out.
8. Bake for 1 hour uncovered.
9. After 1 hour cooking time cover with foil and continue to bake another 20 minutes more.
10. Change oven to broil heat.
11. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over potatoes and broil 6-inches from heat until the cheese is golden (about 1-2 minutes).
12. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
time to make 1 3/4 hours 20 min prep