serves 12, prep 20 min, cook 8+ hours in slow cooker
* 5 lb boneless pork shoulder, cut into large chunks
* 2 tbsp oil
* salt and pepper
* 1 (12 oz) can Root Beer or Dr. Pepper
* small buns or dinner rolls
* your favorite barbecue sauce
1. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large, heavy pot or dutch oven.
3. Sear pork shoulder pieces a few at a time until all sides are browned and caramelized.
4. Add pork to a slow cooker as they finish.
5. Pour soda over pork and turn slow cooker to low and cook 8-20 hours.
6. To serve, use two fork to slightly shred meat leaving some larger pieces.
7. Split buns or dinner rolls and lightly toast.
8. Toss each serving with a little barbecue sauce just to moisten.
9. Serve tucked into warm rolls with a little broccoli slaw or coleslaw if desired.
To make a quick slaw: toss packaged broccoli slaw or bagged coleslaw with 1/4 cup mayo, 2 tbsp buttermilk or milk, a tablespoon of cider vinegar, lemon, or lime juice and a pinch of sugar, salt, and pepper. Make this at least 30 minutes before you are ready to serve and chill it until dinner time.